Monday, December 16, 2013

Chuggin' Along

Things have been happening at the house for the last 6 days, but nothing that really makes good pictures (lots of painting, prep for landscaping, etc.).

Here is half of the tongue and groove ceiling of our California room (it's done now, but I don't have a photo)...

Here is how they started our family room coffered ceiling...

And almost finished...
I can't even believe how perfect it turned out, and it's not even caulked or painted!  It's definitely my favorite feature of the house so far.

Here is the start of our entryway tongue and groove mini-cathedral ceiling...
I've been told that it has been a "b*tch" to install.  Sorry guys!

And the paneled entryway walls...

Ella's room is complete except for installation of her lighting fixture...
I absolutely love the contrast of the navy against the bright white.

It looks pretty ugly right now, but the landscaping is coming along...

And then there's master bathroom.  The bane of my existence.  It just seems like nothing in that room is working out how I planned, and it's starting to get to me! 

First of all, the chevron pattern floor was apparently going to be too difficult of an installation in such a large space so we ended up going with the same floors we have in the kids' bathroom.  I'm ok with this change since I adore the kids' bathroom floor, and I read that chevron is so trendy that it will go out of style soon (not sure if I believe that!). 

Then there's vanity lighting.  I was dead set on sconces on either side of both mirrors (like I'm doing in the kids' bathroom), but I've been informed that there simply isn't room for sconces on either side of the mirrors so I have to do above mirror lighting (which is actually how it's already been wired because they did it before asking me).  I don't want above mirror lighting.  I can't find one fixture that I like.  Although I've been told "no", I'm still not accepting that. ;)

Then there's the shower.  It's smaller than I thought it was going to be.  Fine.  At least I can have the tile design I want.  Oh, but of course I can't because that is not the theme of the master bathroom.  First, I couldn't find the white ceramic pencil tile (I'm sure it exists but we don't have time to special order anymore) so I omitted that detail.  It is also supposed to have a chair rail (like the kids' bathroom).  I wanted to use the same chair rail, but since there's no time for special order, I bought the much less pretty in-stock version.  They started tiling the bottom of the shower walls and had to stop because due to the layout of the shower, there is no way to make the chair rail work with a shower door.  ARGH!!!! 

It was back to the drawing board.  Since there isn't much that I like in terms of bathroom tile, I'm very limited design-wise.  So now it's going to be 3x6 subway tiles (as originally planned), and this design will go around the shower about 3/4 of the way up...
Yes, it's pretty simple and plain.  Just how I like things.  If you don't like white, carrera marble and subway tile, you're pretty much going to hate my house. ;)

I'm just hoping I end up loving (or at least really liking?) the master bathroom.  I'm trying to focus on the fact that the kids' bathroom is gorgeous.  I've never seen a bathroom that I love so much.  Too bad it will probably be destroyed by next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment